Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Infinite love.

I was listening to a talk by Dr. Lawrence Krauss the other day titled "A Universe from Nothing."  Krauss is a theoretical physicist, he's an atheist, and he's really full of himself.  In fact, he's that special "full of himself" kind that probably wouldn't mind that I called him full of himself.  This post has nothing to do with him EXCEPT for the fact that he brought up a paradox that I hadn't heard before.  So thanks for that Dr. Krauss.


So, Hilbert's Paradox of the Grand Hotel.  I must say, I don't fully understand this topic, nor do I expect anyone to.  I wouldn't be surprised if David Hilbert doesn't understand it either.  Here's the simplest explanation that does it any justice.


Imagine a hotel that is infinitely large with an infinite number of rooms all of which are occupied.  Then imagine you walk in and want to check into the hotel.  The manager says, "We're full..." but then he remembers that he has an infinite amount of rooms... so he just moves the guest in room 1 to room 2, room 2 to room 3, and so on and so on.  Therefore, room 1 is now unoccupied and ready for you to move into it.


Confusing right?  The only way I can conceptualize it is when I think of some of my friends.  Just the other night, one of my friends was nervous and sick.  She didn't want to inconvenience anyone, but she said "Hey, you're up late, can I call you if I can't sleep?"  Of course I said she could.  Then she asked, "How late is too late to call?" and I replied something like, "Aw, that's cute... you think there's a time that you could call when I wouldn't pick up for you."


She's not alone.  There are certain people in my life who I love an infinite amount and I would literally do anything I could for them.  Nothing they could ever say or do would ever make me love them any more or less than I do now.  It's an infinite love.


God has that same kind of love for us.  It will never decrease, nor will it ever increase.  It is ALREADY full.  Not only is His love infinite, but His actions back up that love.  His gift of a Son to come to earth to give His life as a ransom for us was all we'll ever need to forever be justified in God.  He's done everything He can for us.  Here's the kicker though... His love is infinite... for an infinite number of people.  He has loved every single person in His Creation the same way.  He always has and He always will.


It's nearly impossible to understand... Hilbert's paradox seems to have as many detractors as it has supporters.  But when it comes to my faith in God and how He loves me, I take comfort in the fact that it's even purer, better, and just as infinite as I love I have for my friends.


1 John 4:16b-19



God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
 19 We love because he first loved us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment